Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Friday, August 16, 2013

Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold: Swatch and Review

Hello gentle readers.

*leans in close to the monitor, eyes it, first with one eye, then the other, breathes on it, tap, tap, taps* "Hello! You do plan to have nail polish sometime on your Icy Nails blog?"

 Today I am sharing my review of Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold. Now, I feared buying this polish. If you are a long time reader of this blog, you probably know why. The sad fact of the matter is, Maybelline polish and I just do not have a happy history. Recently I have been reading good reviews of the Maybelline Color Show line and, as I was on the lookout for a beautiful gold polish and I saw this one when I was in Walgreen's one day. I thought, what the heck, I'll give Maybelline one more shot.

Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold is a warm, rich gold metallic. The finish is somewhat brushstroke-y but with top coat it looks quite smooth, soft, almost burnished. The name claims that this polish is holographic. Not even in Maybelline's wildest dreams is this polish holographic. The only thing holographic about this polish is the silver band on the cap, it's a little holographic.

Who turned that last paragraph into a drinking game?

This swatch is two coats and Seche Vite. As with most metallics, Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold shows every flaw in my nails.






Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold was a Grade A pain in my ass. I applied this polish three times to get a swatch that looked well enough to photograph and even then, I wasn't completely happy with the result. I actually had to airbrush these photographs a tiny bit. (Obviously I still need practice!) The formula on this polish is pure Maybelline hell on wheels. It was fussy to apply, it streaked, it dragged, it pulled bald spots, it bubbled. One thing I will say for it is that it dried quickly. Pffft! Another one bites the dust. You'd think I'd learn my lesson.

After I finished taking pictures, I decided to do a quick glitter gradient with China Glaze Cleopatra just for the fun of it. It looked pretty right after I applied the glitter and top coat but by the time I finished writing up some notes and took my photographs, the glitter had sunk into the polish below it and formed dimples all over the surface of my nails. They looked like sparkly gold golf balls. Not good.






Fore! (Is it "fore" or "four?")

It's a shame about the glitter dimpling the polish below because these two polishes do look great together.

Maybelline Color Show Holographic in Bold Gold was a fail for me. Not only is it not in the least bit holographic, the formula was a huge problem and the finish, while okay isn't stellar enough to make the formula worth it. Alas, my unhappy history with Maybelline polish continues.

Do you own Maybelline Color Show Holographic (does anyone else want to laugh every time they read or type that?) in Bold Gold? What do you think of it? Does it behave better for you than it did for me? Please do tell.

Thank you so much for popping in and reading and have a terrific day.

25 comments:

  1. So happy I didn't waste my money on those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think polishes like this have a goal of making you feel bad about yourself. I experienced the same feelings of inadequacy with the Essie Mirror Metallics...you're constantly thinking, "Why can't I control this little bottle of liquid? It's defeating me!!" It's kind of like entering a baking contest against Martha Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha totally not a holographic color but its still pretty nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, not a scrap of holo to be found. I tried... OttLight, sunshine, it was nowhere. LOL It is pretty, too bad the formula blows. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This polish definitely met it's goal. Exceeded it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad I'm not happy I didn't waste my money on this. But I had to give it a shot. The crazy part of my brain is saying that maybe the cremes and glitters are better...


    I need meds. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer this one was so rude to you! I picked up Blue Steel or whatever it's called and i really liked it. The holo on these is so strong YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT ANYMOAR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh... I'll survive. This isn't the first polish that's slapped me around, it won't be the last. :P Bwahahahahaha! @ Your description of the holo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cellulite nails - not a good look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still haven't tried any shades from the collection

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the only one I have tried. Not impressed. I may give a creme or a shimmer a shot. I seem to be a glutton for punishment. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh! What a bummer , I have tried maybelline in the past & they arent my favorite either

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the only one I have tried. I don't know if any of the others are any good. I'm scared to try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They haven't been good for me, either. I have read posts by bloggers who seem to get along just fine with Maybelline polish but so far, I haven't met one I can get along with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe someone needs to tell Maybelline what "holographic" means.... because this ain't it!!


    It does kind of look like a gold plated golf ball....fore!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm...what's in bottle doesn't translate onto nails. Bummer, as the colors are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is. There is no holographic and the formula was a disappointment. As well. What can you do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Right??!! All they had to do was tweet a polish blogger. Hello!


    LOLOL! *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would suggest moving on. Really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you tried stamping with it? Apparently it's great for that. I not sure if you like stamping nail art as I've only read three pages of your your fab blog so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't tried stamping with this polish, yet but I plan to. Hopefully I can get some use out of it that way.


    I do stamp, from time to time. It's something I enjoy, I just don't do it too often. Nail art is more of a treat than a steady diet kind of thing for me. :)


    Thank you for your very kind words about my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybelline recently launched its color show range in India too...love it completely

    xoxo
    The Blah Queen
    Maybelline Color Show Nail polish Review

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad that you like it. Unfortunately it doesn't like me! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D