Monday, August 20, 2012

One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong

Hello gentle readers.

Ever have a brilliant idea for a polish combination only to get it on your nails, take a good look and ask yourself, "What was I thinking?" Well, this is just such a combination. China Glaze Tempest and Deborah Lippmann Lady Sings the Blues. Two undisputed beauties. On their own. Together they are just a bit of a disaster. China Glaze Tempest is a beautiful red-violet/blurple shifter (kind of like Orly Royal Velvet) and Deborah Lippmann Lady Sings the blues is a stunning almost midnight blue jelly packed with silver tiny and large hex glitter.

Observe the yuk. This is two coats of Tempest with Lady Sings the Blues on accent nails, the glitter topped with Gelous and everything with Seche Vite. I wanted to clean this off the moment I finished it but I made myself wear it for a few days. Why? Penance of some sort? Laziness? A desire to not waste perfectly good polish? Who knows.

All I know is that this combo just didn't work. In my eyes, these polishes do not go with each other. The tones are too disparate and this combo set my teeth on edge.






The formula on both of these polishes are fantastic. I had no trouble with either, they applied beautifully and dried in good time, even my thicker, glittery nails. Wear time was very good, too. Tempest showed some tip wear after three days, Lady Sings the Blues had a couple of chips. No worries... I change my polish so frequently that long wear time is not a priority.

Do you own either of these lovely polishes? What do you think of them?

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

17 comments:

  1. I make myself wear whatever happens on my nails. Even if it is horrendous. I am way too lazy to do my nails over. WAY TOO LAZY! I'd rather look at yuck than start over or have naked nails. This really is not all that bad, although it is glitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way - I endure it no matter how horrid for a couple of days until it starts chipping or flaking off....EXCEPT for yesterday. I know I am ADD in almost every aspect of my life. And for that reason I have come to appreciate my nails time as just that. NAILS TIME MEANS NOTHING ELSE! I thought I'd conquered my extreme ADD with my beloved nails time. But yesterday I had just finished the second coat of this gorgeous glittery white out in the afternoon sun and next thing I know I'm in the backyard running the lawn mower because I couldn't bear the thought of waiting anymore. Needless to say I actually did have to remove all the pretty polish and start over completely because it was so smudged. GRRRR!!!! And then for some reason I picked a Wet n Wild neutral that clashes with my skin tone so bad it looks like a pale person putting on 5 shades too dark foundation on their face. HA HAHAA! But Erika, I really don't think your two here clash that horribly. Maybe in person it looks worse than in the pictures. The China Glaze Tempest is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idk I kinda like this combo. The jelly over the larger glitters makes them sort of resemble the CG, so it pulls them together and makes it work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idk I kinda like this combo. The jelly over the larger glitters makes them sort of resemble the CG, so it pulls them together and makes it work

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a galactic sammich!! I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually think this combo looks fab! I don't know if its because Tempest is reflecting a bit off the glitters, but I think it looks great together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It happens - and really this is not that bad...I probably would have put a thin layer of Lady Sings the blues over the Tempest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it, too. Maybe it bothered you because there were two accent nails instead of just one? I love Tempest. I think the glitters from LSTD is either the same color as Tempest, or is pulling/reflecting off it. As for wearing manicures you don't like for a few days, I do the same, but in my case I know it's pure laziness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had three accent nails on my left and two on my right. Random accent nails is how I am rolling, lately. :D For me, what set my teeth on edge was the tones, not the hues. They weren't harmonious to my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was layered over Tempest on my accent nails, one coat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that this mani looks better in photographs than it did in person. I actually don't mind the pictures all that much. In person it drove me nuts! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I didn't see it that way but you could be right. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one photographed more pleasantly than it looked in person. LOL This glitter polish is a gorgeous one and I love Tempest. I just didn't like them all up in each others grills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate it when I work so hard on my nails and they end up in a mess. If I smudge or gouge I try to effect repairs and cover up before I go to the extreme of actually removing everything and starting over. Sometimes I can fix some pretty hefty damage, if my polish is still malleable. Even if the repair is a little visible, water decals, stamping or stickers can cover a multitude of sins. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't think that you would be too crazy about the glitter. ;) I figure that I did it, I need to wear it. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D