Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Franken Fun: Mad Housewife Glitters Miniseries

Hello gentle readers.

Today begins a three part miniseries detailing three glitter polishes I recently frankened. I have decided to call them my Mad Housewife Series, as I am a mad housewife.

 This entire thing happened rather by accident: I was pulling polishes for my Fourth of July nails and I realized that I don't possess a clean, bright white glitter polish. Imagine that! When I saw that I am indeed, white glitter free, I thought that I could franken something that would work. I went sifting through my Melmers and a drawer and a hatbox of rejects that included some prior failed franken attempts and started playing mad scientist.

I began by attempting to create a very sparkly white glitter. I mixed Sinful Colors Snow Me White and Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear in Disco Ball. Fail. Duh. The glitter in Disco Ball is iridescent white. Put that in white creme polish and it dies. Okay, so I blew it. But... If I mixed in this okay but not brilliant glitter franken I made a while back and forgot about... It's in a clear base, has big, strong glitters... Yeah, let's try it. Can't hurt. Okay. Looks pretty good but there is way too much. Transfer some to this cleaned out Rimmel bottle that once contained a combo base/top coat (that was some useless shit, lemme tell ya!) and I can make two polishes! Yay! To this one in the Rimmel bottle... Grey. Yes. I want a grey glitter. What grey? China Glaze Concrete Catwalk, my favorite grey.

Shake, shake, shake. Test. Add a little more glitter, a tad more grey. Shake, shake, shake. Yepper. I have something, here. Then, to the other one, more franken glitter in a blue base. Shake, shake, shake. Ooooo! Dusty blue! Yes!!! Mama likes a dusty blue! But that Sinful bottle is causing white streaks in my blue... Need another bottle... Here is a bit of leftover Color Club top coat. Dump that and into the bottle goes my blue franken. Yay! No more streakies. The third was my final attempt at a sparkling white. Some Wet-n-Wild small silvery/holo square glitter that was lurking in my drawer mixed with some white striper polish (no way am I frankening with my OPI or China Glaze whites!) and a little thinner. Hello! This isn't what I had in mind but it reminds me of the Color Club Starry Temptress glitters from last year. It wouldn't work for Fourth of July nails but I think it does work.

So, there is the saga of how I developed these three polishes. Time for photos of the first one. This is of course, Mad Housewife. A dusty blue crelly base with tiny iridescent, tiny square holo silver, silver holo bars and hex sequins in blue and lavender. This is two coats and Gelous to top it. Shot under my OttLight.









Not to toot my own horn here but I think that this is a pretty good polish. It looks okay, it is a decent formula, it applies nicely, the glitters distribute naturally and smoothly and I didn't have any trouble with the formula. It applies without dragging, clotting, running or pooling. It was a tad streaky on coat one but the second solved that. I did nearly no cleanup, I think I picked up my cleanup brush once? The dry time is even pretty decent on this one. Overall, I am pretty pleased. My only complaint; the other polishes diluted the suspension base and the glitter can settle. I have to cap and invert the bottle from time to time to keep it all up where it belongs but it isn't a big dealio.

What do you think of the first polish in my Mad Housewife Trio? Your honest feedback is appreciated.

Thank you so much for popping in and reading this veeeery long post. Why you put up with my wordy nattering, I will never know but please be assured that I love you all for it! Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

17 comments:

  1. IMHO you are a nail genius, beautiful nails, designs, execution and instruction and people would be a fool not to pay you the big bucks to get theirs done by you too. You know what you're talking about and you're really really good at it.  Ok, I'm not totally crazy about the whole glitter thing but the way you created this and balanced it without being over-powering speaks volumes. Sometimes less is more. you didn't go over the top with it, you know? it's nice! it's classy! you are the one person who's inspired me to get better at this myself and I am a very very green newbie at it. :D   oh and thanks for happy anniversary over on tumblr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot--it's a jelly sandwich all in one bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I can't wait to see the other 2 you made! I must make time to franken.  I think it is so cool and I'm always inspired by beautiful frankens like this one you made. I keep saying "soon," time to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty & I LOL'd at your inner monologue :)  can't wait to see the next two in the series! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the base color on this!  Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I loved reading how these came about. I look forward to seeing the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is just lovely! Save the formula and make some for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, so do I. :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This bad boy is a one off. I think I could come close, tho with other ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks. :D I talk to myself far too much! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it is. Start small and just start tinkering around. Some will be a bust, some a triumph. Keep the busts, you never know when you can reformulate them into a triumph. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, that is what I dig about this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allie, you are so kind. Thank you for all of your sweet words. 

    This nail thing is a pile of fun and practice brings a solid technique, making it even more fun. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D