Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

China Glaze Ride the Waves: Swatch and Review and a Quick Comparison, Too

Hello gentle readers.

Today I have for your eyeballs one of the China Glaze Summer Neons. I only bought two of the polishes from this collection because honestly, while I like neons, I just don't wear them all that often and I already own a crap ton of them. I bought the two that were most interesting to me. The first one I really wanted was Ride the Waves, a beautiful royal blue jelly. While China Glaze calls this a neon, it feels more like a bright, to me. A perfect bright Summer blue.

This swatch is three coats and top coat. These photos were taken under my OttLight.






As you can see, this polish is pretty translucent. This is three coats and there is still clearly visible VNL. I don't really mind it but if VNL drives you nuts, you would probably like to wear underwear. The formula is smashing on this one. Application was easy and smooth, I didn't have control issues, it sat sweetly down where I placed it and there was no running, pooling or dragging. There was a little streaky action on the first coat; this is pretty normal with a lot of jellies. By the time the second and third coats smoothed on, all evidence of streaks was gone. This polish dries satin matte, like many neons and it dried pretty quickly, too. A good, glossy top coat is definitely in order of you want to wear this polish shiny. And I believe that it should be worn shiny. This is squishalicious and I like to flaunt that.

While I was working with this polish I found myself wondering if it was anything like Revlon Royal, colour wise. I grabbed a nail wheel and got to swatching. I applied three coats of polish to each sample nail and both are wearing top coat.

China Glaze Ride the Waves on the left, Revlon Royal on the right.




As you can see, these are both lovely blue jellies but that is where the similarities end. Revlon Royal is far deeper, richer and looks more like a cobalt blue. China Glaze Ride the Waves is a lighter, brighter blue, this is closer to cerulean. Both beautiful and certainly worth making a part of your polish family but not dupes, by any stretch of the imagination.

What do you think of China Glaze Ride the Waves? Have you purchased it? Love it? My local Sally's sold out of this collection pretty fast and I am not sure about availability in other places. Getting products here in my neck of the woods can be a crap shoot and I often seven out. You might have more luck if you are fortunate enough to live where there is good shopping. I imagine that these are available from various e-tailers and on E-Bay and so forth, as well.

Thank you so much for popping in and reading. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

8 comments:

  1. I really like the color of Ride the Waves, and it's the only true blue jelly I own. Since I have short nails the VNL isn't as obvious and I love how the shade looks with my skin tone. Seeing it here makes me want to wear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *squishalicious* ! I love that word! :D  Beautiful polish. The color is like Crater Lake in Oregon. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I wouldn't call it a neon. Gorgeous, though? Definitely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be fab on shorties, for sure. :) I don't too much mind the VNL on sheer polishes, they are sheer, after all. I will definitely give this another run when I have to go short. And knowing my nails, that will likely be sooner than later. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, thank you. The English language needs more good descriptive polish words, don't you think? :D

    I have never seen Crater Lake. Never been to Oregon, for that matter, even tho I grew up in NorCal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it, tho? I am so fond of blues and blue jellies just make me grin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't bought any china glaze lately-actually am trying to sell off most of mine.  I just find the formula to be runny and not all that great.  So I've sworn them off unless their spring 2013 holos are fabulous-then I'll cave and get those!  but I figure if they do it, other brands will do it too!  And yes VNL drives me nuts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am al a-shiver over those holos. They will be mine, one way or the other. Muahahaha!!!  I really like China Glaze polishes, overall. I have a little difficulty with one, once in a while but the formula is easy for me. Everyone has their own preferences, tho. :) Color Club will be releasing holos, sometime, too. I saw shots on Facebook, but no news as to a release date, yet. The swatches are fabulous! 

    VNL drives me nuts when a polish is supposed to be opaque, not so much with sheers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D