Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

American Apparel Sheer Polishes Swatches and Review

Hello gentle readers.

Today I have three new polishes from American Apparel to share with you. These are from their new Sheer line. This six polish collection are all named after famous beaches and the colours all evoke Summer. These polishes are sheer jelly polishes created to do syrup gradient layered manicures. They are also great for jelly sandwiches and two of the three that I have will build to a perfect, opaque finish in three coats, making some of them very wearable as just plain old polish, as well. These polishes are three free and cruelty free.

Promotional image supplied by American Apparel and used with permission.

The first colour I have is Summerland Beach, a soft, sweet beachy-peachy coral. I applied all three polishes the same way for each swatch: Gradient syrup on my pinkie and ring, three coats on my middle and a jelly sandwich on my index finger nails. All are three coats topped with top coat. These are all so shiny, squishy and just yummy. Please forgive my syrup attempts. This was my first shot at the technique. I obviously need a little practice! 


Next up is Pacific Beach, a bright, nearly neon Kelly green jelly. This is the most sheer of the three. You can clearly see my VNL. But look how squishalicious! I think that this is the best of the three for the jelly sandwich. It looks opaque, in my index nail with the sammich.


Last but certainly not least we have Redondo Beach. This a lovely watery, slightly greyed blue. This is, in case you hadn't already guessed, my favorite of the three. I am a blue fan and this one just makes me happy all over.


The formula on these polishes is very nice. These are so easy to apply, they sat sweetly down where I placed them and whispered softly up my nails with only minimal streaking on the first coat, there was no dragging, pulling or bald patches. This polish builds nicely upon it's self, so that you can do the syrup gradients or jelly sandwiches with ease. As I mentioned earlier, two of the three, Summerland Beach (the peachy-pink) and Redondo Beach (blue) build to opacity in three lovely coats. Dry time is pokey. Slow. And it wasn't helped by the top coat I use for swatching purposes. If you decide to get and wear these, a good fast dry top coat will make your life a whole lot more pleasant. 


Overall, I like these polishes. They have pretty colours and a lovely, easy to work with formula. Hey! The brushes are nice, too! You know how I like a nice brush and I like these. I would think of purchasing other shades and I would definitely recommend them to you sheer lovers out there. 


American Apparel Sheer polishes are available on their website. They retail for $6.00 U.S. a bottle. 


What do you think of these? Like the look of them? Think that you might like to try them? Have you purchased any of these? Did you like them? Please do tell. 


Thank you so much for popping in and reading. Have a terrific day and may your polish never bubble.


*These were sent to me for review.* 

19 comments:

  1. These are great colors!! I love the sandwich you did with Pacific Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for sheer polishes that work for jelly sandwiches.  These are perfect!  Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome. Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they pretty? I think that Pacific Beach is the best of the three for jelly sandwiches. It has that perfect sheer quality, yet enough pigment to fully cover the nail line when combined with the glitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love pacific beach! and i miss my nails. this is taking forever to get the bad breaks and other problems gone! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes patience. Gently filing down and shaping and keeping them polished even when they are short/damaged helps my nails. I find that they recover faster if they are protected at all times. I take 5,000 micrograms of biotin a day, it helps to strengthen my very delicate and fragile nails. They are still pretty delicate and they need to be kept polished at all times but they are stronger, and I can grow them more easily. :) 

    Pacific Beach would be pretty on nubbins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are stunning. I love them! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are pretty, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't decide if I like the peach or blue better! They're both so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Redondo Beach has me drooling. I, too, am a huge fan of blue polish. I think it looks very flattering on my skin tone, as it does your, and heck, I just like the color blue! I only have about 20 blue polishes. And I'm just beginning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11.  Erica, since you mentioned taking biotin, which I do, I would like to ask you a question, which may be a bit too personal; if so, just decline to answer. Has the biotin had any effect on your hair (that you notice)? It's also noted as a good supplement for hair growth (head hair, that is).  My hair is fine and thin and getting thinner, and I have not noticed any difference since I started taking the biotin. However, I expect I wouldn't see any results for at least 6 months or so, don't you agree? Thanks.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sophie, I don't mind your question, in the least. No, I don't really see much difference in my hair with my biotin intake. I have thick, fairly fast growing hair and it is what it is, whether I take biotin or not. I find it so funny that biotin is touted as a supplement for hair growth when no one I know has ever really had all that much success with it for their hair. lol 

    I take biotin strictly to improve my nails. Yes, it takes months and months of consistent use to see any difference in your nails. I believe that I took it for a good four or five months, until my nails grew out from the cuticle and became my tips to see the difference in my nails. It is certainly not an instant gratification type of thing, ut if you are faithful to it, you should see results. You have to continue taking the biotin to continue seeing them. I stopped for a while, about three weeks and my nails went to hell in a hand basket and it took a couple of months of consistent use to get them back in shape, again. 

    I don't know anything about your hair, but if you have thinning, have you seen your doctor? Had a blood panel and your thyroid checked? If you are a-okay in that respect, do you get enough protein in your diet? Protein is crucial to growing healthy (I use that word loosely, hair can't really be healthy... It's dead, after all lol) hair. Healthy for you fats and certain vitamins also help. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. The peach is definitely a close #2 ion the fave list. That blue just makes me happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it nice to find a colour that you know looks smashing on you? :) Watch out for those blue polishes. They breed. Like rabbits. I started in March of 2010 with one blue polish. China Glaze Frostbite. That one polish created a monster. 

    I should count my blue polishes. I think I am over 100, now...

    Maybe I'd better not... lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are beautiful. Hope someone else decides to copy them because I refuse to give a sick slime ball like Dov Charney a dime of my money.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are a lot of lovely sheer polishes out there. Many easily obtained at your local drugstore or mass retailers. Nfu-Oh do a range of syrup sheers, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not really into the sheer look or the syrup look. Just don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It isn't for everyone. I like these for regular wear or jelly sandwiches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's up mates, its enormous piece of writing on the topic of cultureand completely defined, keep it up all the time.

    Feel free to surf to my blog post :: New Bingo Sites

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D