Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear Purple Pizzazz: Swatch and Review

Hello gentle readers.

I have, in the last couple of years gone from avoiding purple polish like the plague to embracing and seeking it out. I have become a fan. For a long time, I bought into that "beauty rule" that told me that women of my age have no business wearing different, bright or funky colours. Bah! To hell with beauty rules! If you are forty-something or fifty-something or eighty, for that matter, wear what you like! Seriously, kids, life is too frakking short to listen to a gaggle of "experts" telling us that once we celebrate some set birthday, whether it is 25, 35 or 50 we are obligated to chop off all of our hair, dye our greys, put aside shimmer, beautiful colours and glitter polish and fade quietly into obscurity. I cry shenanigans. We are just as valuable, just as relevant at ninety as we are at nineteen. I am not going to fade into the background and give my place in this world to anyone. I am not going to allow a tall poppy to overshadow me and if I want to wear purple polish and shimmery eyeshadow at 47, I am damned well going to do so.

So there.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox, now.

Stepping off to show you one of the prettiest purple polishes I have met in a long time. I am sure that you are well acquainted with this little beauty but in case you are not, allow me to introduce Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear in Purple Pizzazz. This glowingly pretty translucent deep purple ***smooooke on the waaaaater... da, da, da... dunt, dunt, du du...*** ~sorry about that, I was having a moment~ is packed with colour shifting rose/copper mini flakies. Yeah. It's pretty.

For this swatch I applied three coats and top coat and shot these photos in the sun.






Ugh! These photos. They were the best of the bunch. Sorry about the focus issues. Every time I went out to shoot my swatches, the wind would come up and hit me full on, causing mean camera shake. I'm surprised that I actually go any usable shots that day, at all. Mother Nature must have been pissed at me, for some reason. I swear, the wind would be quiet until I went out my door, posed my hand and lifted my camera then, woosh!

Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear in Purple Pizzazz is a jelly, smooth, squishy and translucent, it also has some of the formula issues a jelly can have; it applies a little streaky on the first coat and it dragged a couple of bald spots. Subsequent coats went on perfectly, tho and it was opaque and danged near flawless by the third coat. There is a bit of tip pull, again a jelly thing, it doesn't bother me too much and wrapping the tips definitely reduces that a good bit. Dry time is about average for this polish and it didn't bubble on me. I had to adjust to the long wand in this polish but once I got the feel for it, I was just fine.

What say you about Sally Hansen Purple Pizzazz? Like it? Want it? I think that Purple Pizzazz is part of the Sally Hansen core line. My local drugstores hold frequent sales on this brand and I am always finding coupons in my Sunday paper too, making this brand extremely affordable.  Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear is, overall a good quality polish with a wide shade range and interesting finishes. I like this line and own quite a few polishes from it.

Thank you for popping in and reading. Have yourself a great rest of your Thursday and may your polish never bubble.

28 comments:

  1. I love Purple Pizzazz! It's really stunning. I tried wearing it once and but I was in a rush to leave soon so it didn't go great. My coats were too thick and it wasn't drying so I had no choice but to take it off. Good thing not much polish was wasted. Hopefully next time it'll go smoother. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember buying this and swatching it a year ago when I was still a youngin' and didn't realize that it was probably sheer on purpose (being more of a jelly, you know). Now I need to try this in a sandwich soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great shade - I missed seeing this one but that's not unusual for me. I live where there is one drug store - a Rite Aide and it's 60 miles drive to the next one. If we don't get something in locally, by the time I need to go beyond my area, and have time to look around, things are major picked over. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks tunning! I have this but have yet to try properly! ( and I love Smoke on the Water, have you heard the Senor Coconut version? I's funny & cool!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying this today I must, it's a waste to have this still virgin in my stash. And about the age and what colors you "should or shouldn't" wear I love your opinion about this.. Hubby picked on me about the glitter he says it's a teenager thing and I felt I should wear things "meant" for younger people.. wow I just turned 28 I shouldn't think like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 28? You're still a baby. And glitter isn't just for teenagers, No, siree! After almost 24 years of marriage, my husband has learned that remarks like "Glitter is for teenagers" will get him into a world of trouble that he would much rather avoid. He is well trained to say, "Oh, pretty! Do you love it?" when he sees glitter or holo on my nails. Your hubby will learn. Just give him time. :D

    I have virgins in my stash. Long term virgins a year or older, in fact. I am getting to them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not. I'll have to see if it is on YouTube. :D

    I had this one in my stash for a loooong time. I am making it a point to swatch polishes I have had hanging around for a long time. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo! great idea. I am so doing a jelly sandwich with this, one day. Glitter and flakies? Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in full agreement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one needs a few minutes between coats and a fast dry top coat Seche Vite is good and a little patience. But it is worth it. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. You might find it online. Try Amazon or CVS or Walgreen's websites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. Thank you very much because now I have to go play that song to get it out of my head! =P I suppose I can forgive you, though, as my eyes are extremely pleased with this stunner of a polish! I tend to shy away from purples just because they're so hard to photograph color-accurately, but this one is so gorgeous, it is worth all its problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Purple is one of my favorite colors, the others being blue and teal. As to anyone saying you can't wear purple, glitter, or whatever, after a certain age, I say Phooey!!!! Times two! I am 56 and I still love purple, navy blue, some of them glitter, some of them not. If I like it, and it matches my skin tone, then I wear it, in fact I flaunt it. If my hubby starts to complain, I shoot him down and that's that!

    Wow---I took all that above to say I looove this polish, especially on you. I think I will pay a visit to CVS or Target tomorrow!

    Thanks again, Erica, for a lovely, lovely treat! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm 46 and I say the brighter the better.  Why shouldn't we bring a little fun into life?  Love the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heh heh. Earworms are my specialty. :D This polish is a lovely one. You will probably love it. And it is easy to photograph. 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for being so kind. I love blue and teal and purple, as well. And I have grown fond of green. Still can't love brown but it doesn't send me running for the hills, like it used to. I hope that you find this because it really is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amen. :D So do I. This purple is a beauty. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Erica. I shall make a concerted effort to find it! ;) ^^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I need this polish!  "I cry shenanigans" too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes you do. And, yay! We all need to band together and do so. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved the little rant! & I love urple pizazz I've got it on my watch list on eBay xD

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope that you get it, it is a gorgeous polish. :D 

    Thank you for liking my rant. It was something that I had to say. 

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is ok-seems a little glittery for me-and you know I don't do drugstore brands-so will just leave it at that!  HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm with you! I am in my early forties and I wear all colors of NP. It makes me happy when I look at my nails, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's cool. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope that you found it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D