Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bobbi Brown Corrector: Review and Photographs

Hello gentle readers.

Fair warning before I get started: If photographs of old broads without makeup are upsetting to you, if they offend your delicate flower eyes, turn around and run. Now. 'Cause I am old. At 47 I have some lines around my eyes, loose skin, hooded lids and uneven skin tone. In spite of those things, I like makeup. I use it and I like to talk about it and am going to do so, here. 


Today, I am talking about Bobbi Brown Corrector. I am on a perpetual hunt for something. Anything. That will correct, conceal and brighten my dark under eye circles. Thanks in part to heredity; a gift from my paternal grandmother, (some grandmothers pass down to their granddaughters money, houses, antiques... Mine passed down to me her dark circles and her boobs. Thanks a lot, Amie. lol) and in part to year round indoor/outdoor allergies, I have seriously nasty dark circles. I have tried a wide variety of concealers, correctors, brighteners, powders and potions to kill them and have, in moments of desperation, considered getting a burqa to cover those suckers up. 


 I have heard and read good things about the Bobbi Brown Corrector and when I was in the Valley, last week I was cruising through Dillard's and stumbled upon a Bobbi Brown counter. I remembered, as I was about to breeze on past that I really, really wanted to try their under eye corrector. So, I put on the brakes and with the assistance of the very friendly and decidedly not snobby sales associate and several samples to swatch (on my hand, I do not put the contents of testers on my face, ever.) settled on the shade Light Peach thinking that it would best suit my fair but not porcelain complexion. I forked over twenty-four dollars and change after tax, the most I have ever paid for a concealer type product and high tailed it out of there, gleefully clutching the cure (I hoped) to the darkness that resides below my peepers. 

 Bobbi Brown Corrector. $22.00 US for 1/2 ounce of product. Available wherever Bobbi Brown cosmetics are sold. 

 Bobbi Brown Corrector is Light Peach. It photographed a little darker than it is, in person. This is a lightweight, pigmented cream in a peach tone that is designed to correct the blue/purple discolouration of dark under eye circles. 


 My under eye area, minus makeup. Scary, I know. lol My camera and the light coming in through my window actually lightened up my under eye area a good bit. The darkness under my eyes is a lot deeper than  in these photos.


 Right eye. (I don't know what that thing under my eye was. I flicked it off, after I took these photos. It is gone, in later shots.) Look at that deep darkness. 

 Left eye. I just had some eye cream and moisturizer on in these shots.


 After applying the Bobbi Brown Corrector to my under eye area. In bright light, my dark circles appear to be corrected and brightened to a fair degree but they are still pretty clearly visible in these photos and were even more obvious, in person.






After patting on an additional brightener (Maybelline Age Rewind Anti Dark Circle Brightener), to try to amp up the corrector and makeup application. As you can see, my dark circles are still clearly visible. *sigh* Fail. 





In case you are curious, my eye shadow is from the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide  On Pencil in Gunmetal, Maybelline Lash Discovery on bottom lashes, Revlon 3D Volume on top lashes. Yes, I draw on my brows. It's a long story. If you want to know why, just ask, I'll tell it. :)

What I liked about the Bobbi Brown Corrector:

  Nice packaging. Sleek, black plastic and a nice little mirror inside the compact.
  The consistency is light, creamy and very smooth. It felt weightless and comfortable on my skin.
  Good pigmentation and there is a pretty wide shade range to suit many different skin tones.
  The corrector applied smoothly and easily, it didn't glob into under eye lines (there was a little settling, but once I smoothed it back out, it didn't settle, again.) and it stayed where it was placed. 
  Long wear. This corrector stayed in place all day with little fading and it didn't turn into a creased up mess.

What I didn't like about the Bobbi Brown Corrector:

 Sadly, it just didn't work for me. This corrector doesn't have enough pigmentation to handle my very difficult dark circles. 
 Perhaps a deeper shade of peach might work but I think that the Peach would be a bit too dark and that would defeat the point of using a corrector/brightener. 

I think that the Bobbi Brown Corrector would work great for someone who has missed a few hours of sleep or partied a little too hearty the night before and has light to moderate dark circles but for someone like me, with two black holes of Calcutta under my eyes, it just doesn't have enough pigmentation to correct what I need it to. I returned this corrector and my search for my Holy Grail Dark Circle Killer continues. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears. I am open to a splurge (to a point) if the stuff actually does the job for me. 

Thank you so much for popping in and reading. I hope that you wont mind my periodic meanderings into beauty products other than nail polish. I thought about starting another blog for such stuff but to be honest, I just don't have it in me to run three blogs. So my nails will just have to share the limelight, from time to time. 

25 comments:

  1. Thank you for this well-timed review! I can see improvement after using it in your photos, but as you say, it didn't do as much as you'd hoped. I've been reading about this exact product in looking for something for the same reasons you are. From what I understand, this corrector seems to work best when used in conjunction with the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer. I've read enough good reviews on that combo that I'm going to splurge and get them both. FIngers crossed that it does the trick! I don't have a counter nearby that carries this line, so I'll order it online, hope it matches, then exchange if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been laboriously pouring over reviews of this product because I've heard it works wonders! Like the person below I've been looking into buying the corrector and concealer duo as Bobbi Brown sells them both in one product now, so hopefully that one will work better! The Maybelline brightener added a nice touch to the eyes too :)

    Alice

    http://SecretsOfAWannabeCharlotte.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never find concealer that truly works either.  And it seems to me that the more i try to cover my dark circles the more obvious they become.  It's as if even TOUCHING that area inflames it.  Like if I wipe off fallout under my eyes my dark circles become more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about buying the duo but I have so many concealers and brighteners that I felt that the extra expense just wasn't necessary for me. I could easily pair the corrector with concealers and so forth that I already own. And I did and it just wasn't right for me. 

    I hope that you have better luck with the Bobbi Brown and that it is the answer you seek. Trying to correct bad dark circles is such a frustrating, difficult process. It drives me crazy... I keep hoping one day to land on the right thing for me. I am a little tired of looking so tired all of the time. Especially when I am not! lol 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that it works for you. Finding the right corrector for your own skin is a process that can take a lot of time and trial and error. Mostly error, for me, so far! lol The Bobbi Brown might just turn out to be your HG. :D 

    I like that Maybelline brightener. It does help a bit and it brightens up my inner and outer corners, making my eyes look a little less hooded and brighter, which I really like. It is nice on other areas of the face that need a little brightening up, as well. It is a surprisingly terrific little tube of light. Hmmm... Should do a review... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! It's so frustrating, isn't it? I feel the same way, the more stuff I pile on, the worse it gets! The trick is to find just the right corrector, in a tone opposite the colour of your circles that will cancel them out, then brighten the area. A soft, lightweight, very creamy formula is good too, so that you can lightly pat it on, disturbing and irritating the skin as little as possible. I keep looking and trying things.

    I have read and heard on YouTube really good things about the Armani Eyes To Kill, I think it is called? Corrector. Maybe I'll give that one a tumble. There is also supposed to be a good one by Hourglass and a couple of others that I can't remember the name of, off the top of my head. Amazing Cosmetics, I think? 

    I swear, my dark circles will be the thing that finally drives me into the nut house. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I think the concealer tones down the dark circles enough that they are probably only noticeable/bothersome to you, because you know they are there!  I think a lot of our perceived flaws fall into such a category.  I think I have terrible, awful eye bags, and my roommate, a professional (straight male) photographer claims I do not, really, and that guy is picky and observant.  I do nothing to conceal them other than put on foundation.  I've also found that the makeup that best conceals all the evil in the morning breaks down through the day in a way that is more noticeable to others.   My personal biggest gripe is dilated capillaries on my nose and cheeks, and I think I've given up eliminating them in the morning, because it is a losing battle.  Toning them down seems to be most practical.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Erica,

    I have, at this moment, two products sitting in my shopping cart at Beauty dot com, that, coincidentally, are for the same issue you are attempting to resolve. They are: Bye Bye Undereye by It Cosmetics ($24. for 28 oz) and Tarte's Maracuja Creaseless  Concealor (same price as the other item). I also search for the HG of undereye matching luggage: two large, blue-purple bags. Unfortunately, these bags are carry-on, at least for me.  I cannot check them at the gate or anywhere else. And, I believe that I, too, inherited them from my grandmother, along with the boobs. Are we related? Separated at birth?

    Anyway, I do agree with the other posters that the Bobbi Brown and the Maybelline do make the darkness much less noticeable, likely to everyone except you. Perhaps you would like to research the two items I mention above. As soon as I can afford it, I will place my order and let you know how things go.

    And, since you mentioned, I would like to know the eyebrow story, no matter how long. While waiting in the car the other day for husband to leave work, I glanced in the rearview mirror and discovered that half of my left eyebrow appeared to have gone missing. So I need to learn the art of using eyebrow pencils.

    One more thing: (boy, this woman is wordier than I am, you think with a sigh) you also mentioned three blogs. Do you have another current one that I don't know of, besides the nails blog? If so, please share.

    Thank you for reading my blabber. I hope I've helped in some small way. ;) 

     

    ReplyDelete
  9.  I too have dark circles. I'm about to try Dermablend or Make Up Forever-the Dermablend is waterproof and claims to be able to cover tattoos, so I figure some under my eyes shouldn't hurt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This review was so interesting to read, because I have the exact same problem! Giant dark circles under my (43 yr old) eyes that look like went a couple rounds with Manny Pacqioau-whatever-his-name-is. I've tried every flippin' concealer there is (except the Dermablend, and one called Joe Blasco) and nothing seemed to work that well until I found the magical trifecta! My circles are partly hereditary (thanks Grandma Elinor) like yours, and partly allergy-based. Which I didn't even realize until my doctor put me on Zyrtec-D for my sinus headaches and my circles all of a sudden decreased by a noticeable degree. So that's the first part of the magical trifecta...I take a generic Zyrtec-D when I go to bed every night. The second thing is this "Garnier Skin-Renew Anti-Puff Eye Roller". It has caffeine in it, and it shrinks the bags a bit. The third and most important part of the magical trifecta: "L'Oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Concealer" in Fair. It comes in a brushy-pen type applicator, and I brush on a pretty major amount and then tap to blend. The circles are still there, mind you, but noticeably decreased to the point where I don't sigh in dismay every time I look in the mirror. Maybe one or more of these things might work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couldn't hurt, for sure. If it works, let me know. :D 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your input and I agree with you to a certain extent. :) We are always hardest on ourselves, and see our own flaws in a glaring light. But my dark circles, they are not just visible to me. After I used the Bobbi Brown Corrector and brightener and makeup, my husband, a most kind but honest man, when asked his opinion, told me that the stuff just didn't work. He takes so little notice of what I am painting on to my face that I had to respect his observation. lol 

    I have some of those dilated capillaries on my nose, as well. A little foundation and concealer covers them pretty well. I imagine that lightly patting on a little green corrector just on the red areas would make them disappear, even better. I may try it, sometime. And for those red divots on the sides of my nose that my glasses dig in there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yap on. I don't mind. :) And yes, you have helped a bit. I have heard of both of those products and they have gone on my to try in future list. Ha! We might be related, if our grandmothers were so much alike. lol 

    I'll yap about the brows, one day. My other blog is a personal blog, I am not posting in it as actively as I was but it is alive and when I get back into the swing of it, I'll post a link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I am totally going to get me some of that Zyrtec and try it. Anything to calm down these idiotic allergies! I have a nasal spray that my doc prescribed, I have used two bottles and it is basically worthless. The Zyrtec is definitely worth a try. :D I tried the Garnier Anti Puff Eye Roller. I used it faithfully, morning and night for several weeks and it didn't work for me. I may try the under eye roller with a tint... It can't hurt. Sadly, I can't use the Loreal concealer that you suggested. It contains chemical sunscreen, an ingredient to which I am very allergic. If I put that stuff under my eyes, dark circles would be the least of my worries! lol 

    Thank you so much for reading and for your kind input. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kudos to you for being brave enough to put that out there! HAHA!  I find that the Cle De Peau concealer, while expensive as all get out, works really great.  I suggest you try that one.  And I'm old with you sistah (44)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard and read very mixed reviews on Cle De Peau. A part of me really wants to try it, a part of me is scared to death of the price tag. I know that I can return it, if it doesn't do the trick. If I can't find something at a lower price that does the job, I will have to gird up my wallet and give it a go. I am going to exhaust all other options, first. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it when you review makeup and different products other than polish!! Don't get me wrong, I HAVE to have the polish reviews, but I like it when you venture out! :)

    And I'm also very curious about your eyebrow story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you, Erica. And I look forward to your reviews! Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello there, I discovered your website by way of Google
    at the same time as searching for a comparable subject, your site came up, it appears to be like great.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hi there, just turned into alert to your weblog via Google, and located
    that it's really informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.

    I will appreciate for those who proceed this in future.
    Many people will probably be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    Take a look at my weblog: gourmet coffee beans

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very shortly this website will be famous amid all blog viewers, due to it's fastidious articles or reviews

    Check out my web-site - http://vnprojekt.ph-gmuend.de

    ReplyDelete
  22. HI there. I know this is an old post but I'm replying anyway. Have you ever tried Vichy Dermablend foundation? That stuff will cover almost anything. It's a bit too thick for me to use as a foundation but I use it as a concealer. A little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your suggestion. It is definitely worth checking out. I have heard of Dermablend, that it was created to cover deep pigmentation and scarring. I have noticed that the label claims a high SPF, I'll have to see a comprehensive ingredients list before even considering trying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let
    you know a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

    my site: upcycled clothing

    ReplyDelete
  25. The CTA says the new and used cars will be auctioned off
    by Bonhams at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo 2010 along with the vehicle as well.

    Most of the people don t have to be either easily detachable or foldable.
    Other blasts from the past and acknowledge something that is doubtful in older models.



    My blog post - used cars under 2000

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D