Friday, May 18, 2012

Yellow Roses, Lemon Trees and Carob Brownies

Hello gentle readers.

I was in the mood to do some nail art, last week and was looking for a little inspiration and trying to decide if I wanted to dot, freehand some roses or stamp. As I contemplated, made my bed and so forth, that goofy song, Lemon Tree was running in an endless loop through my head. I know what you are thinking... "Lemon Tree? HUH?" It's a song from my hippy-trippy upbringing in NorCal in the seventies. I heard that song a lot. Just about everyone I knew had it on vinyl and listened to it. A lot. And smoked pot. A lot. And ate carob brownies. A lot. And skinny dipped in Spanish Creek while washing their hair with Head Henna shampoo and well... I think you get the idea.

Anywhoozle, I was thinking about nail art and listening to that song in my head and I decided that I would try to paint bright lemon yellow roses and lots of green leaves to invoke the feeling of a lemon tree. But not really, since yellow roses don't grow on lemon trees. Tho, if one smoked enough of some really good weed, while sitting on the banks of Spanish Creek and eating carob brownies, one could almost imagine that they saw yellow roses in a lemon tree. If lemon trees grew on the banks of Spanish Creek.

I decided to use China Glaze Sunshine Pop and Lemon Fizz, Sinful Colors Unicorn and Snow Me White for the roses and I used China Glaze Holly Day, Starboard and Gaga For Green for the leaves. I practiced a little on a piece of paper to be sure that I remembered how to paint roses then I got busy on my nails. I painted my roses right on to the OPI Hearts and Tarts that I already had on my tips.










I decided to paint one big rose on my ring finger nail on my right hand then fill in with lots of dots in all of the colours I used for my flowers and leaves. I can polish my nails on my right hand just fine with my left but detailed, more intricate work is still mostly beyond me when I am doing it all lefty-like. It was kind of weird, having two hands looking so very different but it was kind of fun, too. After my painting had a chance to dry for a few minutes, I topped it all off with Seche Vite.

Painting roses on your nails is super easy. I learned how to paint roses from this tutorial. I don't use nail art striper polishes and brushes, I use regular polish and fine tipped art brushes. I think that these roses came out a little better than my last attempt.

Do you paint roses on your nails? Dot them in a host of different colours? Smoke pot and eat carob brownies on the banks of Spanish Creek before you go skinny dipping? 

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

28 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous nails! The most "wow" I can do is slap on a glitter or flakie topcoat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such talent.....beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide which version of this I like the most! ^.^ The all roses is really pretty, but the dots are so much louder! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey look at you doing art!  Am I on the right blog???? HAHAHAHA!  I am LOVING this!  You should do this more often!  The colors are so amazing together!  I sadly am a dot failure so I have much respect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhhh this is sooo gorgeous!!! i absolutely love those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous colors and fantastic job on the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the story behind this beautiful manicure! :-) made me smile. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love these yellow roses! The whole mani is so lovely and sweet...despite the fact that it was inspired by pot. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude. I wasn't smoking. Just reminiscing about people who smoked. lol But thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, thank you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol. I know, right? A person could get disoriented by this post. :D Now that I know that I can pull it off, I will do roses more often. I like them. You can dot. Just go one colour at a time, With the first, dot all over in random spots and do the same on the rest of the nails. Clean the tool and do the next colour and so forth. Don't worry about patterns or overlaps. Just keep on going until you have something that you like. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Louder. I like that. :D 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jackie, you are very kind. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you. :) 

    These roses, you could do. Trust me. Just follow the tutorial I linked and practice on paper until you are comfortable with the technique. The beauty of them is that you don't have to "draw" flowers.  It is just a few simple strokes, one colour, darker to lighter over each other. Then simple leaves that are kind of like drawing elongated hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This mani is just breathtakingly beautiful! The roses are so delicate I can almost smell their lovely fragrance. And the dots are adorable. You know, Erica, that now we will expect to see more nail art from you, don't you think? ^-^  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! I really love how this turned out!! Normally we see red or pinkish roses but the yellow just looks so fresh and summery! You did an amazing job, I love it!! You should do freehand more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much. I am seriously blushing, here. I'll see what I can do about doing nail art more often. the problem is, my repertoire is so limited that I would swiftly bore you to tears. lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much. <3 My freehand skills are severely limited, at this point. lol Maybe I need to spend some time surfing YouTube and learn a few more easy techniques. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25.  You couldn't bore me if you tried, Erica. Your blog is one of my favorites; I always look forward to seeing your mani's and reading your writing ^-^~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aww... You are so sweet. <3 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D