Tuesday, May 29, 2012

OPI Designer Series Coronation: Swatch and Review

Hello gentle readers.

Well, my husband is finally back to work and I can get back on schedule.

Today I have a sad, sad swatch for you. OPI Designer Series Coronation. This platinum diffuse holo is so lovely in person. The particles are a little more coarse and they make your nails look as if they are paved in tiny, faceted, diamond coated platinum ships. Indoors, your nails just look silvery with a glow, out in the sun the holo grabs every bit of solar radiance and fires to life in every colour a holo could ever throw. It doesn't form distinct  rainbow bands, more like arches, almost as if it were a crazy gradient but not really.

It's hard to describe. And even harder to photograph with my old, holo eating beastie of a camera. I had to heavily edit these shots to get even a hint of the true beauty of this polish and they are not good, at all. But I hope that they give you the general idea. And no, my fingers aren't really that colour in the bottom photo. :P lol I tried to boost the saturation to get some colour in these shots.






This swatch is three coats and you can see that it isn't entirely opaque. This seems best suited as a layering polish, rather than an stand alone. I swatched it this way, tho to show it as it is. The formula on this polish is very smooth and it is a delight to work with, DS Coronation didn't give me a lick of trouble, no streaks or running or dragging; it dried quickly and shiny and very sparkly. I didn't use top coat for this swatch. Didn't need it. Tho I will when I wear it.

Swatches like this frustrate the holy hell out of me, let me tell you. Sometimes I just want to strangle my camera.

So what do you think of this lovely polish? Please don't judge it by this representation. It is truly beautiful. If you are interested in picking this one up, it is discontinued but it isn't too hard to find, yet and the price on it is still really reasonable. I picked mine up from an Amazon seller and I paid below market for it. I think it is one of the DS polishes that just isn't as popular and so there are still a lot of them floating around out there. Don't let anyone rook you on the price for a bottle of Coronation. It isn't necessary to overpay for this sparkler.

I have swatching to catch up on and, I am hoping that my local Sally's is going to put out the new China Glaze neons, soon. I picked up one of the new Orly summer colours now I have my beady little eyeballs fixed on a couple of other colours from that collection, as well. And of course, China Glaze should be releasing On Safari, soon. Guh! I can't wait for that collection. That is one I may have to glom in it's entirety. Those colours look right up my alley. :D

All righ. 'Nuff nattering. You are probably so bored with it that you have either skipped most of it or your eyes are crossing and you are thinking, "Will she ever just shut up?!?!" hee hee

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a terrific day and may your polish never bubble.

22 comments:

  1. Fab post!!! I love this polish, I had so much trouble photographing it too. Ooooh which Orly did you get?? Im loving them, picked up the minis set.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and the polish looks gorgeous:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't ever shut up!  I like your ramblings!!!  This is not a polish for me-but am sure a lot of people will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really pretty!  I have DS Temptation on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks pretty.  I've been waiting for the China Glaze neons too - not at my Sally's yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous! I wish OPI would go back to making awesome colors like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So do I. One of the biggest mistakes they ever made was deciding not to make their beautiful holos any longer. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. :)

    My Sally's usually puts out the new collections after the first of the month so I imagine that I will be able to buy mine after the first. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. :)

    I am going back and forth about that one. A part of me wants it because it is DS and a part is like, eh... It's just a glitter. I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh heh. Sometimes I wonder... 

    This is definitely not for everyone but this old crow likes it just fine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much. :)

    I have Orly Skinny Dip, so far. In fact, I am wearing it right now. A post will be coming up, in a few days. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read your writing, so please, don't 'shut up.' Your 'voice' has me in stitches sometimes ;). Oh, and the polish is breathtaking, also. I really need to indulge myself once before I die and purchase one or two of the OPI DS polishes. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  14. The DS polishes are definitely worth the splurge. I would own all of them if I could access them and afford the aftermarket prices so many of them command. I just love that line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I snagged a mini of this for £2.50 in the current UK sale. I've not tried it yet but can say that it doesn't look this good in the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This polish is pretty much dead indoors, it fires in the sun. The holo is even better, on the nail than in the bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. It really is, in person. Too bad that my camera robbed this one so badly. 

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the holo I've been looking for!!!!!!! :D Thanks for the swatch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad that this swatch was helpful and you are very welcome. Enjoy your new polish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. You acknowledge that it's a layering polish... and yet you post swatches of it opaque? Why can't you do a swatch of it as a single coat so that the people who are looking into it FOR layering purposes can actually benefit from your swatches and see how dense or sparse the glitter is?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cassie, as I said in my post, while I felt that this was best worn as a layering polish, I decided to swatch it opaque to try (try being the operative word, here) to show that this polish could be worn opaque and that it forms subtle linear rainbows in the holo.


    I have swatched this polish over a variety of dark base colours in skittle fashion to show how it layers in one coat over another polish. That post will run on Saturday the 25 of August if you would like to see how this polish layers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D