Thursday, April 5, 2012

Franken Fun: Rami, a Franken Tribute to Deborah Lippmann's Ray of Light

Hello gentle readers. Fair warning: This is a long post. I get wordy in this one. (Shocking, I know... :P)

How's things? Looking forward to the weekend? I sure am. Something pretty big is happening for us and it is about damned time! A major several years long pain in the ass is wrapping up. Coming to an end and I am so glad. I am so over it and ready to move the hell on!

Since I am seeing the light at the end of a very long, difficult tunnel, I thought that I would use that as a way to introduce my latest franken. This is a tribute to a new polish recently released by Deborah Lippmann. Ray of Light is a stunning deep blue base packed with flakies. It is beautiful but spendy. I was considering splurging on it, anyway but while perusing photographs and reading reviews I realized that a version of Ray of Light could be quite easily frankened.

Now, I am not claiming that I have a dupe, here. I haven't seen Ray of Light in person and I am not likely to. But I think that I came fairly close with my version. This franken is easy to make, it requires a pretty short list of ingredients that most lacquerheads probably already own. If not, the ingredients are easy and not terribly expensive to acquire.

I named my franken Rami, after my older sister. I chose to name this polish for her for a few reasons. First, I love her name. I always have. When I was a kid, I was a bit envious of it. I got over it but I still love it. I also chose my sister as this polish's namesake because Rami is a ray of light in my life, our mother's life and to anyone who knows and loves her. Ray of Light is blue, blue is the colour for Autism Awareness. Rami was born with a severe form of autism. (Or so the experts have said... Rami is a tough nut to crack. lol) She is a grown woman, physically but otherwise, she is much like a small child, in some ways, like a 'tween. And lastly, I had to name this polish Rami because she loves nail polish as much as I do. Seriously. I am a collector. She is a hoarder. lol And she guards her pretties like a pitbull with a bone!

I have a bunch of photographs of this polish to share. These photographs were shot in sun and the last one in shade. My poor old camera is experiencing focusing issues, so these photographs aren't as detailed as I could wish but I think that they give a pretty good idea of what I was going for. This swatch was three coats with top coat.

Without further ado, may I present Rami:












So, anyone who owns the beautiful original, how did I do? Did I come close? If I am way off, any suggestions would be welcome.

 As I said earlier, the recipe is easy to follow.

Nubar 2010 (any flakie of that ilk will work just fine) somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 bottle

Color Club Blue-Topia, any deep blue (but not black-blue) jelly will do, up to below where the cap rests, when screwed on. But not too much... You don't want to kill the flakies! Add a little at a time, until you have the right saturation. But hold back a little because you then add:

Eight drops of Wet-n-Wild Black Creme (any black creme polish will do)

Four drops of China Glaze Concrete Catwalk (any dark grey creme will do)

I added the blue, black and grey to my Nubar bottle, tossed in a couple of extra ballz and a few drops of thinner and shook it like I meant it. That's it. Easy-peasy.

My version is very jelly and I needed three coats for perfect opacity. (This polish photographs a little sheer, it is opaque in person.) It applied smoothly and the flakies distributed easily and smoothly. Dry time was pretty danged good, especially with a fast dry top coat. It is a tad thirsty and I should have used two coats of top coat to get it perfectly glass like. I wore this swatch to see how this franken would wear and wear time is decent. I got a solid four days out of it before it chipped. While that isn't super long wear, it is fine for me, as I change my polish pretty frequently. This franken wasn't difficult to remove. I just pressed remover soaked cotton rounds to my nail, held it for a bit, then gently scrubbed the polish off. I had no staining of my nails or my skin.

You should have seen me, running around with my dotted nail art on one hand, Rami on the other. heh heh

Okay, so there you have it. What do you think of Rami? Yes? No? I had no business attempting to franken Ray of Light? (I didn't do it for financial gain or to take anything away from the creator of the original, just to have the pretty, on my budget and because I really wanted to see if I could.) Do you think that you will try to knock this together? Your input is welcome.

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

29 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful franken!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet story about your sister! I love the franken, it's gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have Ray of Light, though I wanted it; sadly, my wallet can't handle it right now.  :(    Compared to the swatches I've seen of Ray of  Light, I think you did very well!  I LOVE your franken!   I like your Rami soooo much better than DL Ray of Light--the color is beautiful, PLUS you have a wonderful story to go along with it1  You sound like a very sweet sister, and Rami sounds like a great and cool person, too!  Has she seen her namesake polish, and if so, what does she think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks pretty close! i love it! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty!  Your franken looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, and I love the comment about your sister guarding her polish like a pitbull with a bone, CLASSIC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! :) And better than DL, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I am in love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly think that this looks better than the swatches I've seen of Ray of Light. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing wrong with using a spendy polish as the inspiration for a franken, and yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! You did a wonderful job, it's gorgeous, and the inspiration behind it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you think so, too. I really wasn't out to steal anyone's thunder or gain financially from their hard work. :D Thank you for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, gee! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much. So am I. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. You are very kind. I haven't seen that one in person, so I was just shooting from photographs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you. 

    That was no exaggeration! lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, good! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for your sweet words. <3

    She hasn't. I live a long way from her. Next time I see her, tho I will take her a bottle. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like yours better. You seem to have cooled that green/orange flash thing that so many flaky polishes have going on and keeps me from buying them since even the pink and blue Nfu Oh's I splurged on STILL have that green/orange thing going. Orange is not a good color for me unfortunately, even though I would love to wear some juicy gorgeous shade like ChG's Orange Marmalade or Riveting (which looked great on you) in the summer. GOOD JOB! And I bet your sister will be over the moon when she see's it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks AMAZING!! I love it, it's gorgeous!! I like yours better than the DL swatches I've seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seriously just made myself a bottle after reading, but dont think mine turned out as good as yours! Yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The flakies do flash green, at certain angles. I don't mind the green, as I think it looks lovely in the blue jelly. 

    Thank you for your lovely compliment. I like Riveting, so much and I think it is going to get a lot of play, this Summer. I still need to get Orange Marmalade. I need it to round out my Summer Days collection. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much. You are so kind. <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll bet it is fabulous! Please shoot me a link to your post so that I can see it? 

    ReplyDelete
  28.  I should buy OM since it's the only one I'm missing too (Watermelon Rind is a green I can rock), and just wear it because it looks so...licakably yummy, lol. If anyone walks up and says, ''That color looks like dooky on you.', I'd just have to thump 'em I guess. lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. There you go. Wear what you love. You are not here to decorate anyone's world. Go get your Orange Marmalade. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D