Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

China Glaze Stone Cold: Swatch and Review

Hello gentle readers.

Today I have one of the six China Glaze Colours From the Capitol (Hunger Games) Collection polishes that I picked up the last time I was in Sally's. I thought that I might buy all of them but only six of them really caught my fancy. I have to say, this is an odd collection for Spring. The colours evoke Autumn, to me. Not that I am opposed to wearing strong or dark shades in the warmer months. I don't really let the season dictate my polish colour choices. I will slap on a deep, vampy shade in the middle of the Dog Days and splash on a soft yellow or lavender in the dead of Winter.

I confess, I know next to nothing about The Hunger Games. I haven't read the books (tho I am now intrigued and think that I may just pick them up and give them a read) and won't see the movie until it comes out on PPV. (I don't like to pay to see a movie that I can wait and see for free, a few  months later.) I have, of course read this and that about what polish colour goes with what district and so forth but that is the extent of my knowledge so I will be skipping the tie in commentary and just sticking to describing and reviewing the polishes, themselves.

Today's swatch is of Stone Cold, a cool, charcoal grey matte polish with a strong silver shimmer. The shimmer isn't shiny or particularly sparkly but it does fire beautifully in the sun. This polish is sexy, sophisticated and a bit edgy, too. I have read that this polish is a one coat wonder for some. It isn't, for me. My nails are just too imperfect and my polishing technique too inconsistent to get the job done in one swipe, but I did get a lovely finish in two thin coats. I didn't apply top coat, of course.

This photograph was taken out in direct sun.




China Glaze Stone Cold has a lovely formula. For a matte, this polish is surprisingly smooth and pleasant to work with. I have had experience with another brand of matte and I wasn't all that impressed. In fact, it kind of put me off matte polishes but I do believe that my faith has been restored. Stone Cold flowed very nicely off the brush and sat right down where I placed it. I had little cleanup to do. This polish sets up and dries pretty quickly but you do have a few moments to smooth it before it becomes unworkable and drags.  Dry time is fast. I have read that wear time isn't great with this, as with most mattes, it chips and wears off quickly. I do wonder if a matte top coat would extend it's life? I need to pick one up and try it.

I like this polish. I am not really big on mattes but there is just something about this one that delights me. If you like the matte look and enjoy a good grey, Stone Cold may really suit you.

Have you picked up this polish, yet? Which polishes from this collection do you think you are going to make a member of your polish family? The China Glaze Colours From the Capitol Collection is available now wherever China Glaze polishes are sold.

Thank you for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

20 comments:

  1. I am in love with this polish! I picked it up and it was a smooth a butter one coat wonder for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the colors not being very springy, and I wanted to like more of them than I really do because I love the books! I ended up liking 4, including this one:-) I think this looks awesome on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favs from this collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty!  I haven't gotten this one, but now I'm thinking I might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my experience matte t/c makes normal polish chip faster too, so it's just a one day polish! It is good to change up an intact mani for a day though, it dries quickly so if you don't have time for a full remove and repolish it's good for a quick change!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great polish. It would look fabulous on you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know. I can usually just tolerate matte for a day or so, anyhow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this one! It's amazing with topcoat, the shimmer is CRAZY! You should read the Hunger Games! They're really great books, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a couple of the polishes I think I might have to pick up, including this one.  The only other ones that really caught my eye were Fast Track and Harvest Moon, and *maybe* Hook and Line.  I'm actually already past lemming for this collection because I saw swatches of OPI's Spiderman Collection =(

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I actually ordered this a few days (haven't gotten it in yet) and it's going to be my first matte polish. So excited to try matte polish, although it might just chip too fast to not be frustrating for me. I also finally ordered the Hunger Games books and they should come tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelli FlinchbaughMarch 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

    Love it.  I passed this one up the last I was Sally's thinking from the look in the bottle it was too similar to some I already have but this is back on the list now.  Looks great. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I want a polish matte (whether it's matte or not originally), I always do regular topcoat and then matte topcoat over it. It seems to last longer that way. :D Goooorgeous polish. I really want this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to wear this one with top coat. I like shimmer. :D

    I will most likely pick up the books and read them, one day, soon. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh... Did you say, Spiderman collection? Is it amazing? *sigh* 

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one applies nicely, for a matte. I was surprised at how well it behaves. Impressive. Mattes don't last very long... They are kind of a one or two day thing.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is how I usually do it, too. Regular polish, plus a matte top coat. I need to get a new bottle of matte top coat, in fact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that you do get it, it is pretty amazing. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's definitely worthy of wearing the "amazing Spiderman's" name! And from the looks of it, there's one called Spotted the Lizard (I think) that's a dupe for Chanel's Peridot. Oh, and there's a lovely emerald green shatter*sigh* It's so not fair that it doesn't come out until MAY!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Guess I should just surrender my wallet, now... lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D