Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Loreal Owl's Night

Hello gentle readers.

Today I offer for your perusal Loreal Owl's Night. This polish was one of eight polishes that were part of Loreal's Project Runway Limited Edition collection, early this Fall. Of all of the polishes in that collection, this is the only one that caught my eye.

I don't have much experience with Loreal polishes. The only other one I ever owned was a shade called Rose Potpourri. It was a beautiful, rich, deep rose creme polish. I also owned the matching lipstick. And wore them both, together. All of the time. Hey, it was the Eighties. ;) In fact, Rose Potpourri was the polish I was wearing, the day my son was born. I saw that shade for sale back earlier last year on one of those little independent beauty products websites. You know the ones, that sell lots and individual items of mostly discontinued makeup and so forth. I really wanted it but couldn't order it, at that time. And when I was able to, I couldn't find the website, any longer. I keep checking places like dollar stores and Big Lots. Hey, you never know. :D

Anywhoozle, before I got to nattering on about something totally off topic, I was talking about Loreal Owl's Night. A dark, greyed purple base packed with duochrome colour shifting gold glass fleck shimmer. This polish is beautiful. It is dark and mysterious and it does evoke the creature for which it is named. I applied two coats and topped it with Seche Vite.

These photos were taken in my lightbox under my OttLight. They are clickable if you are so inclined.





Owl's Night has a right decent formula. It is thin but not runny. It was easy to apply and control and I didn't have to do much cleanup. I really liked the brush in this polish. It is a wide brush. Not quite as wide or soft as my all time fave, the OPI Pro-Wide brush but it is a pretty nice brush that did a good job for me. Dry time was pretty fast with this polish.

Sadly, this beauty didn't wear very well for me. I wore it for almost three days and I should have removed it on the second. By the end of the first day, I had significant tip wear on all of my nails. By mid day on the second, I had a huge chip on my right middle finger nail. By the morning of the third day, my nails looked like forty miles of bad road. I would have died of utter humiliation if I had had to run out and anyone saw my chipped, busted down polish. This polish is undeniably beautiful but for me, anyway, the wear isn't stellar. In fact, it isn't all that acceptable. I will have to remember that this is a one or two day at the most kind of polish.

Would I buy Loreal Owl's Night, again? No. In fact, my experience with this polish makes me wary of buying any more Loreal polishes. I know that new collections are slated for release, if they aren't already out. And I would love to get some of the colours; but if this polish is any indication of the overall quality of Loreal polishes, I might have to pass. The jury is out on whether or not I will be giving this brand another throw. We'll see.

Do you own Owl's Night? Did it last longer for you? Are you happy with it?

Thank you so much for coming by and reading and commenting. I know that this was a long post and if you read all of it, well... My hat is off to you. 'Cause I sure can ramble, sometimes. Hell... Most of the time. Have yourself a terrific day and may your polish never bubble.

19 comments:

  1. This is sitting in my untried bin. I can't believe how I searched high and low for it, but haven't worn it yet. I guess it's more about the thrill of the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *swoon* this is so pretty. :) I love this on you. I love this polish though.  I'm sorry the wear was sucky for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh heh! I do that, too. Lemming hard on a polish then it sits there, lonely, wondering why I don't love it. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. :)

    I'm glad that this performed better for you. I could have been something I did... I don't know. I will wear it, again. I can't help but want to wear something so beautiful. Maybe it will last longer, next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, sorry it didn't wear well for you. It looks stunning though! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really sorry to hear that it chipped so much!  Such a shame with such a gorgeous polish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg @ Kitschy SuburbiaNovember 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM

    I grabbed this one while on vacation in October - and really, only because it was a tie-in to Project Runway.  I agree with you - the wear was nothing to be excited for.  And, as a matter of fact, I had a horrible experience with another L'Oreal polish.  I doubt I will pick any others up because of the combined experiences...unless they release some drop-dead colors (like holo or major duochrome).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 4 Loreal polishes and I remember one of them (a coral) wears like iron.  The polish you're wearing looks great, too bad it didn't wear well.  I hope you saved the receipt and can take it back (I love how Walgreens does that).  I don't like keeping the ones that don't work out. That polish looks vaguely familiar, like one of the SH Insta-Dri polishes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't try it out for wear! I do love it though. It looks gorgeous on you, shame it didn't last long without rough mileage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the many, many polishes I haven't yet gotten around to swatching, much less wearing.  Someday. My go to L'Oreal polish in the 80s was Rose Delicat (I even wore it for my wedding).  I still have about half left of my last bottle--hope you can find your Rose again one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shimmer, chocolate browns with gold shimmer are some of my favorite polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty, I love seeing all the different colors that it contains :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one has a lot of colours in it, for sure, thanks to that duochrome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does come off as chocolate brown, doesn't it? Must be the gold glass fleck mixed with the smoky purple base. Funny, I don't normally like brown polish, but I don't mind this one, even tho it looks brown.

    Could this be my gateway brown? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember Rose Delicat! I used to wear that shade, as well. But not as much as Rose Potpourri. That was back when I thought a gal only needed one or two polishes. What the heck was I thinking?!?! lol

    Oh boy... I have such a backlog on my untried polishes shelf. It's really bad. 

    ReplyDelete
  16. In spite of the crap wear, I am going to wear it again. It is just so beautiful. Sometimes pretty trumps short wear time. :D

    And, you might have better lasting time. My mantra for beauty products is always, YMMV. You may get better mileage than I did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately I tossed that receipt. I plan to keep this one and wear it, again. It will just be a one day kind of polish, for when I am in the mood for it. And it was a LE polish so it has a little collector value, too. So, it can stay. :D

    I love that i can return products that doen't work for me to Walgreen's and CVS! That lets me only keep those I love and that look good on me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear you. I am seriously considering whether or not to buy more Loreal polishes when the new collections are released. I'll probably cave to the pretty colours, tho. Sad, but true. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you. :) It is what it is. I'll just wear it for a day, here and there when I want something dark and saucy on my tips. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D