Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How Much Pretty Can You Get For $3.25?

A lot.

Hello gentle readers. How's life treating you? My Fallergies are driving me in. sane. And there was/is a fire nearby that filled the air with smoke, making me even more miserable. Gah!

Thank goodness I have pretty nails to compensate for my misery. Today I am wearing Orly Mineral FX in Rock-It. This is the polish I scored at Sally's for $3.25 the other day. And it sure is gorgeous. It is a raspberry jelly packed with shimmer. Some black for depth, magenta, raspberry, gold. This polish shifts and changes, depending on the light and angle in which it is viewed. I applied two coats and topped it with Seche Vite.

Buckle up, kids. There are lots of pictures, ahead. And yes, I know that some hate to hear the whole "This looks better in person than in my photographs" thing. But this is definitely the case with this polish. I wish that my photographs could do this lovely stuff true justice but I just don't have the super fabulous camera and skills required, so I just do the best I can with what I have. :)

Please forgive my cuticles. They are pretty much dog meat, right now. Why, I don't know. I soaked them in oil and cuticle butter before I shot this manicure so I hope that they aren't too offensive. Guess they just need some extra attention, right now. You know what? I think it was all of the alcohol I was splashing around in the other day when I did my palette project. Yepper... I think that was the culprit.

Anywhoozle, here are the photos. They are clickable for bigness, if you so desire. :)

 Lamp.

Sun.







Shade.

I boosted the saturation and sharpness in these, to try to show some of the richness and depth and complexity present in this polish. 

Orly Rock-It has an oddly thin-thick formula. It feels thin and I had some trouble with it, especially on the first coat. It kept trying to run and flood my cuticles. I really had to hustle and use my cleanup brush. More than I really like. As I started the second coat, the polish tightened up a little and it was much, much easier to control. I had little cleanup on the second coat. Dry time is really good with this polish. It is a top coat muncher. I can feel a slight texture on the surface of my nails and I could use a second coat of Seche Vite. I may go ahead and apply that, in a bit. 

In spite of it's eccentricities, I very much like this polish and it is so very beautiful that in my opinion, it is worth the extra effort. I really would love to have the other colours in this collection. Especially Stone Cold and Rock-Coco (I think that is what it is called? The purple one?) I also like the grey with holo sparkles. And Emberstone. Aw hell... Why don't I just come right out and admit that I want all of them? lol

Do you own these polishes? Love them? Did you have the same difficulties that I did with application? Maybe mine were due to the half a gallon of coffee I consumed before doing my nails? 

Probably.

Say, would anyone be interested in a photo tutorial on how to build a very inexpensive lightbox? If so, I took pics while building mine and I would be happy to do a post. Just let me know. :D

Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a great afternoon and may your polish never bubble. 

24 comments:

  1. Your mani looks fantastic and I would love to see the lightbox tut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rock-It, and I would also like to get my paws on Stone Cold and Emberstone. You probably don't want to know that I paid less than a quarter for my bottle of Rock-It, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, mrsrexy. And I will do one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jammies, how did you manage that trick? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got that for $3.25!? You're a wizard! That's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS alot of pretty for $3.25! How did you manage that? I have a Sally Beauty card,but I know I won't get that much of a discount on the Mnrl FX!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, no magic needed. Just my Sally card and a five dollar off coupon that I received when I re upped my card. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. thalie, I just used my Sally card and a $5.00 off coupon that I received for re upping my Sally card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty color. I would love to see a tutorial on how to build a lightbox(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great haul and from the looks of your nails it was worth every 3.25! By the way my nails always brighten my mood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is such a beautiful color . I want it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Kelly. I will do a lightbox tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diva, my nails brighten mine, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Toyomi. I think that you should get it. You would love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's like a raspberry version of Star Spangled!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, how can they look any better in person when they look AMAZING HERE?!? lol. i need this color now

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks beautiful in your pics so IRL it must be amazing! And yes mam I would most definitely be intereted in a tutorial on how to make a light box I want to make one but have no clue where to start or what to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would be VERY interested in seeing your lightbox tutorial! I live in Washington and it's just started off on the 9 months of rain so I need a lightbox but I am very short on money.

    ReplyDelete
  19. GReat post, and veeeeeery cheap Orly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this and Rock Solid. I didn't have problems with application. My fav is the Rock Solid, it is so pretty. I should have picked up the Stone Cold, because that one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'd like that whole collection from Orly, but the budget won't hold for right now. I guess I'll wait, I'll find them later. Hee. I'd love to see the lightbox tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. No trick, Your Frozen Majesty, just a sales associate not paying attention--the story is on my blog, but I will refrain from spamming you with a link. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D