Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Freehand Nail Art Virginity Lost at Last

Hello gentle readers. How is everyone on a hothothot Tuesday? I am well. Not too hot here, yet. It is only 76 and there is a breeze but the humidity, which was low this morning is flooding back in on us. Blech! Methinks we are in for a storm, in a bit.

I *heart* thunderstorms! :D

Okay, so... I read a tweet from @ColorClubNail this morning with a link to a tutorial for hand painting roses on one's nails. Yes... I know. I. And a tutorial for hand painted nail art. I can hear the hyenas cackling madly in my background. They, as well as I know that I have zero true artistic talent. I am creative as hell. But artistic? Nope. Not even a little tiny bit. 

But, reading this tutorial and looking at the pictures, I thought that even I might be able to paint roses with their method. I even tweeted something to that effect. Yeah. Now I was trapped. Time to put my money where my big, fat mouth (or fingers, if you will) is.

So, I thought of what I would like to do, gathered some materials and some plain paper and started off by doing some practice painting with both my right and left hands. This wasn't going to do me any good if I couldn't do this with both hands! To my utter amazement and shock, I was able to create, with both hands, mind you, roses that looked suspiciously like the ones in the tutorial. Woo hoo! I suspect that with a little practice I can get better and make my roses look even more rose-y. :D

For my finished design on my nails (over my existing Color Club Secret Rendezvous), I put chevron guides on my ring and thumb nails on both nails then painted above the chevrons with Orly Gumdrop then below with Sinful Snow Me White. I then removed the guides and painted tiny roses on the Gumdrop and white portions of those nails. I was going to leave it at that but then I got the inspired insane idea to paint stripes in Gumdrop and Snow Me White on the rest of my nails. Uh... Yikes! Heinous stripes! Seriously baaaad stripes. What to do? What to do?

Paint roses on top of the stripes, of course! So, I painted larger roses on top of my heinous stripes and suddenly, they didn't look so bad. But, now my nails were suffering from definite overkill. So, to enhance that effect just a little more, I decided to add pearls in the points of my chevrons on my thumbs and rings. Then I topped everything with Seche Vite.

My nails look kind of like the wallpaper that covered the walls in a cottage we lived in for a while, back home. Same colours and everything. Good times. :P


The beauty of this painting method is that even those of us who can't paint a stick figure to save our lives can paint something pretty on our nails. And now that I know how, expect to see more roses on my nails, in the future. :D

Supplies used:

Chevron French tip guides
Tiny half pearls
Orly Gumdrop
Sinful Colors Snow Me White
China Glaze Starboard (for rose leaves)
Striping polishes in red, dark pink and white (the colours I used for my roses)
Two fine artist brushes. A tiny one for roses, slightly larger for stripes
Seche Vite

I painted my roses with a #000 artist's brush since I had no control with the brushes in the striping polish bottles. I used a slightly larger and longer brush for my stripes. I need practice making stripes and I also need to obtain a long bristle fine striping brush.

Okay, so. Yeah. I actually did freehand nail art. Never thought I would see this day! Bet you didn't, either. lol Do you paint roses on your nails? Now that you have seen the tutorial, do you think that you might like to try it? Trust me, it is easy! If I can do it, anyone can. :D

Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great day and may your polish never bubble.

41 comments:

  1. Lovely! I tried to do something similar some time ago and failed miserably. :-D
    *also hearts thunderstorms*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great first freehand attempt . Way better than what I used to do at first (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roses came out great! It does remind me of wallpaper but I totally LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks AMAZING! I looked at the pic you tweeted from FB and it is now in my inspiration folder. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Good for YOU!! This looks great! Don't you just love it when you surprise yourself (in a good way)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is amazing!!! I'm definitely going to try something like this soon. I'm a horrible artist too, though after seeing your nails I don't really believe that you're a bad artist at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A M A Z I N G!!!! Wow hope I can freehand that well one day. Keep the beautiful mani's coming.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so awesome! I think that I am going to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I *heart* thunderstorms too...um, the lighting part anyway....used to love sitting on my covered porch watching the lighting flashes and hits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! The flowers are so pretty! Maybe there's hope for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously - I have just stared at your hands for about 10 minutes. Simply divine. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh! This is so pretty,especially for a freehand first attempt! I would think you were an expert from looking at the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This turned out wonderfully! I will definitely have to have a look at that tutorial~

    ReplyDelete
  14. CucumPear, thank you. :) I thought that I would fail, too but it turned out to be so easy. :D

    No thunderstorm today, sadly. It is drying out, now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Toyomi, Aw. That was so sweet of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Turtlechick. It is wallpaper-y. I kind of like that about this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen! :D Thank you so much, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Nailholic. My mani is in your inspiration folder? Really? Gee... <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, Megan. Yes, it is. And I sure surprised myself with this one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Saida, you really should try it. The steps are so easy and the beauty of the technique is that even those of us who can't draw or paint can do these little roses.

    Trust me, I don't have a drop of artistic talent. Not one drop! It is all in the technique. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Bruval. :) You could do this, so easy! Just read the tutorial and practice on some paper with right and left hands before you go to your nails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, SM. You really should. It is easy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Mrs. Rexy. I didn't get a storm, today. It is drying out. But the Monsoon is hardly over! Lots more thunder and lightening to come, in the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you, Miss Blue. There is definitely hope for you. Trust me. If I can do this, I honestly believe that you can, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww... Draz. You are so sweet. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. thalie, thank you so much. Nope. Not an expert. So not an expert. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Freshie. Click the link! Do it! It's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love freehand nails although they are not always easy to achieve! But you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nail Stories, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nathalie, thank you for that. They aren't easy for me, that is for sure! lolol But this was really rewarding and so much fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you, Katherine. I do, also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kelsey, the link is in the second paragraph, it is in grey. It reads: "tutorial for hand painting roses". :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. great job! still gotta use that method for flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D