Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Comparison and a Thank You

Hello gentle readers.

Today I thought it would be fun to show you a comparison between two beautiful red glitter polishes. I have been looking at these two polishes for a while and wondering if they are dupes or if my eyes are playing tricks on me. I thought that the best way to answer my questions was to just apply and photograph the two and see how it all shakes out.

The polishes I am comparing are China Glaze Ruby Pumps and Orly Star Spangled. I have owned both of these polishes for about a year. In fact, Ruby Pumps was my first ever China Glaze polish. Needless to say, it wasn't my last. lol Both of these polishes are true, blue based red jelly polishes packed with brilliant red glitter. I applied three coats of polish, no basecoat and topcoat. For the swatches, I just used a cheapie topcoat I don't much care about... Why muck up my good stuff, I ask you? I took all photos in as bright sun as possible. Wasn't easy, lemme tell ya. The stupid sun kept trying to hide behind clouds. Why the hell is is clear as a bell until you start swatching glitters? Foo!

Sooo... Which is which? Heh! Heh! I think I am going to set you peruse the pictures and  see what you think. The answer will be at the end of this first grouping of photographs. (Did I mention that there are going to be a lot of pictures in this post? :P)

 What do you think? Do they look alike?

 They kinda do, don't they? ^^

 Got any idea, yet? :D

 Yes?

 No?

Maybe? 

Ready for me to put you out of your misery?

I will.

In a minute. 

My assessment? They are extremely close, especially n photographs. In person, Ruby Pumps is a little cooler, has a slightly more blue undertone. To my eye, Ruby Pumps is a little more densely packed with glitter and the glitter it's self is a tad brighter. Ruby Pumps is smoother, even before topcoat. Star Spangled is a tad grainier, a little rougher and needs a bit more topcoat to get it all perfect and glassy. That said, for all intents and purposes, these polishes are nearly dupes. They are so close that if you own one, there is really no Earthly reason to purchase the other. 

Unless you are like me and you are a total red glitter polish ho and can't resist having both. :D

Oh, yeah! Nearly forgot. I was supposed to tell you which was which, wasn't I? Ruby Pumps is on my index and ring nails, Star Spangled on my middle and pinkie. 
Just for shits and giggles, I also decided to try tossing Milani One Coat Glitter in Red Sparkle into the mix. I applied two coats to my middle nail after cleaning off the Orly and topped it with my cheapie swatching topcoat. This polish isn't even close. Where the other two have a red jelly base, Red Glitter has a black jelly base. The glitter is a different tone, too. See? 

 Like I said, not even close. 


I actually own... Four red glitter polishes, I think. And I am not ashamed to say that if I see another one (or six) that I love, I will totally buy them. 'Cause I am a total red glitter polish ho. :D

I have a really cute Wet-N-Wild Spring collection to swatch for you. I just today received this collection, it was a giveaway prize I won from Nouveau Cheap a few weeks ago. If you like drugstore beauty booty, check out her blog. She hooks us up with all the latest and greatest in the drugstore getting gorgeous realm.

I just want to add a quick but no less absolutely sincere to the lovely, generous and extremely talented Jen for my new grab button and header design. I just added the borders and photos to my header, to personalize it. :D Jen just made these up for me, one day, when she was bored. Just tossed them together then surprised me by e-mailing them to me. Talented, I tell ya. :D

Okay, this is getting really, really long, so I suppose I need to wrap it up. Thank you so much for popping in. Have a great night (or day, depending on where you call home;)) and may your polish never bubble.

9 comments:

  1. I'll be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed correctly :) I think Ruby Pumps is a little deeper, although they both look great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comparison. I have Orly Star Spangled and am a little disappointed on the graininess. Now I know I *have* to have Ruby Pumps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent comparison. I own one red jelly type lacquer with gold glitter. I'm so not a red person so I'm glad you make up for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't really tell the difference.. one just looks like it's in the shade more.. :-D. i love your header though.. well i love the pink nails haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ND, it isn't easy to see the difference. I can pick it out because I am so familiar with these polishes. :D

    A cookie for Kelli Kat!

    Megan, I would recommend Ruby Pumps. It is a gorgeous polish.

    Heh, heh, LW.

    Thank you, Pretty. The pink in my header is OPI DS Signature. It is one of the prettiest polishes I own. In fact, I might dare to say it is the prettiest. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby Pumps was my very first China Glaze polish too! :D

    Great comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that Ruby Pumps sucks a lot of us in to the world of China Glaze. lol

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both gorgeous and I couldn't tell a difference. I still can't get over how gorgeous your nails are.

    Love the new design!! It's almost as fabulous as you are. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D