Click the Pretty Buttons! It's fun!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Manicure of the Moment and A Mascara Review

Hello Ladies. I hope that you are having a lovely weekend.

Mine is quiet but good. Getting a little much needed relaxation. I had a rather busy week and it feels good to just plant my tushie on the sofa and do little of anything. I did get my nails done, of course. :D

I decided to do a Hallowe'en-y manicure. I had picked up an orange polish in Sally's the last time I was there, for just this purpose. Now, I don't do much nail art. And what little I do attempt is very, very, very simple. You see, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I can't draw. I can't paint. I couldn't draw a recognizable figure of anything to save my life. So, I am not going to be showing beautifully painted nails with vampires, Jack-O-Lanterns, bats, witches, ghosts and candy.

But I think I did at least capture the spirit, using black and orange polish.I painted my nails in Nina Ultra Pro in Orange Sunset and China Glaze Liquid Leather. I did my ring fingers and thumbs in Liquid Leather and the rest in the orange. Then I used a fine brush and did contrasting dots on all of my nails. I topped them with Seche.

Taken indoors in natural light. No sunshine pics, since the sun is currently hiding behind low, grey clouds.

So, there it is, my very simple Hallowe'en designed nails. 

*hangs head*

*********************************************

I tried a new mascara and thought I would do a review for you. The mascara is Loreal Voluminous Million Lashes mascara. I was originally drawn to the "Ooo! Shiny!" packaging. Yes, I am a crow who is attracted to shiny objects. lol But I was also interested because the commercials promised mad volume without globs and clumps. So, I picked up a tube when I was in my local Walgreen's. I bought black and paid just under eight dollars. I am a little miffed that I had forgotten to bring my coupon organizer with me. I had a one dollar off coupon in there. 

Shiny, shiny tube. *caw!*

When I was ready to use it, I did my usual, primed my lids, applied my shadow, liner and curled my lashes. 

Bare, or as I like to call them: Invisilashes. :P

I opened the tube and pulled out the wand. It popped, softly and I was delighted to see that the inner structure had, indeed cleaned the brush very nicely. The only excess was on the very tip and a quick blot on a tissue made that go away. The brush was something I wasn't expecting. It is fat. I was a little intimidated to try to use it, at first. I felt as if I was about to apply my mascara with a porcupine in a stick. But once I got to it, I quickly adjusted to Big Daddy Brush and it wasn't too bad, at all. I just needed to be careful of applying to my lower lashes. Because the brush is so fat, I did get a little on my skin. It cleaned up okay, tho. Now I know to be careful. I tried to get a shot of the big, fat brush but my camera started acting up really badly and I couldn't get a clear one. I am sorry.

This mascara applied nicely. Smoothly and gave me coverage and nice volume very quickly. I didn't have to work too hard for my payoff. I applied one coat to upper and lower lashes, then a second, barely there coat to my uppers. I meant to take a pic before applying the second coat but I spaced it. I find myself doing that more and more. *sigh* They say the mind is the first thing to go...

I normally comb my lashes in between coats, but I didn't, for this review. I wanted to see if this stuff could live up to it's billing. I had a little clumping, but it wasn't drastic and I think that a good combing would have done the trick. Personally, I have never met a mascara, either drugstore or department store that was totally clump free and didn't need at least a little combing. I think it is just the nature of the beast. No matter the price.

I am pleased with the result. My lashes did look fuller, thicker and a little longer, too. They didn't look like an ad or commercial. They use fake lashes in print and commercial ads, which I think is wrong. But they did look pretty good, if I do say so myself. The oomph was a little more subtle for me, since I tend to use a lighter hand when applying mascara. I think that if you really wanted to pump your lashes up to glamazon, you could easily do so with this stuff. :)



After application. 

One thing that surprised me about this mascara is that it has a fragrance. It is floral, spicy. Reminds me a bit of honeysuckle. I have extremely sensitive eyes and I worried that the scent might irritate or hurt my eyes. I had no problem with it. My eyes were fine. If you don't like fragrance in your cosmetics or are allergic or sensitive to scents, this mascara might not be your cup of tea.

Overall, I like this mascara. It applied nicely, looked good, lasted all day without flaking or smearing and it doesn't irritate my very sensitive eyes. It took a little work to remove. (I don't use waterproof mascara... Ever.) I needed a little extra jojoba oil and a little extra time. But, it did wash away clean, without leaving any nasty under the eyes residue to make me look like a crazed raccoon. I will definitely use the tube and will most likely purchase this product, again. :D

So, yeah. Long post, today. I hope that it was informative and you didn't fall asleep and drop your coffee on your 'puter and short it out or anything. lol Have yourselves a great weekend and may your polish never bubble. And your mascara never clump. ;)

9 comments:

  1. Ok - I'm aware that I say this a lot but I love this one. SOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, plump them up to glamazon! Love your eyes, is that hazel, or blue? The Halloween mani is adorable too! I use Maybelline Colossal Volum Express, and I only got it 'cause I hear it smelled like roses but mine has no scent at all! boo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute design, simple is never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aggie, my eyes are grey. For some reason, my camera picks up more on the gold ring around my pupils and throws my eye colour a little hazel.

    Rose scented mascara? That sounds nice. I love rose. :D

    Thanks, Serena. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmygosh, this mani is so super cute! And I love your halloween backgroud :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the nails look so fun!

    http://abbiespurpleroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. adore the halloween background!! :D very nice love the mani also :D its simple but effective :D niicceeeee :D im really looking forward to doing some halloween manis :D my fave time of year! :D
    really enjoy your blog
    Diava
    X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate each and every one of my readers and the time you take out of your busy day to read and share your thoughts with me. <3

Please send blog links to me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address in my Contact tab at the top of my blog page.

Have a fabulous day! :D